Shoshone County, an original county

"ESTABLISHED 1864. COUNTY SEAT Wallace. Shoshone County is named for a southern Idaho Indian tribe. The county originally was created in Washington Territory in January of 1861 and included the Shoshoni Indian country in southern Idaho and western Wyoming. Its pre-sent boundaries took shape in 1909 after a number of divisions. Mountain men traveled through the county in the early 1800's, and Catholic missionaries were there in the 1840's and 1850's. Captain John Mullen constructed a road of sorts through the county in 1860-61. The discovery of lead, zinc, and silver in 1884 near present-day Kellogg drew a heavy population to the area. A narrow-gauge train was constructed to Wallace in 1887. Labor-management troubles flared in the Coeur d'Alenes in 1890's. Since the 1884 discovery, billions of dollars worth of minerals have been taken from the Coeur d'Alenes, in which are the largest lead and silver mines in the United States." - "The Idaho Almanac," 1977 Edition, State of Idaho. map

topo map at isu.edu/digital atlas

Langley's 1876 Directory
Hawley's 1920 History
Bio of Ed Pulaski, (1868-1931), inventor of the pulaski fire fighing tool
Sunshine Mine Disaster, 1972
Sunshine Mine Disaster Casualties

location


About AHGP

Webspace for this site is generously provided by Genealogy Village and Access Genealogy

Copyright © 2013 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.