"Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1876-78," Compiled By Henry G. Langley, Editor of the California State Register, Pacific Coast Almanac, San Francisco, 1875. Gazetteer and Business Directory of Idaho Territory

Kootenai County

An Act of the Legislature, passed and approved December, 1864, creating Lahtoh and Kootenai counties, was repealed in January, 1867, and that portion of Lahtoh County south ot the divide of the Palouse River, and Latoh Creek and next to Nez Perce and the country north of those streams to the boundary line of British Columbia, was thereby created Kootenai County, and thus it appears on the map, but the county is without organization, and almost without occupants. It is bounded on the north by British Columbia, south by Nez Perce, east by Montana Territory and Shoshone County, west by Washington Territory, and comprises an area of about 4,810 square miles. The first discovery of gold in Idaho Territory was made by a French Canadian on the bank of the Pen d'Oreille River, in this county, as early as 1852. The southern extremity of the county, comprising about 250,000 acres, it is proposed to appropriate as a reservation for the Coeur d'Alene Indians and other tribes. Kootenai County contains the only lakes of any importance existing in the Territory—Lake Kaniksu, fifteen miles long and two miles broad, lake Coeur d'Alene, twenty-four miles long and three miles broad, and Lake Pen d'Oreille, thirty miles long and five miles broad. The latter and Clarke's Fork, a stream flowing into it, are navigable for steamers for an uninterrupted distance of eighty miles. Three steamboats were built for the navigation and trade of the Lake in the expectation of traffic between the Columbia River and Montana, but that failing, the boats have lain idle for some years. The only post office in the county is at Pen d'Oreille, but there is little or no business at that point. A score of stock herders, and a few Indian traders, constitute the settlers of Kootenai. The county possesses great resources, but awaits, like all the northern region, the coming of the Northern Pacific Railroad to bring it population and open it to the world.

Lapwai, Nez Perce

P O 12 miles e of Lewiston
Douglas George C, surgeon
Kelley David C, postmaster, and general merchandise

Leesburgh, Lemhi Co,

P O 18 miles n w of Salmon City
Colvin &, White, butchers
Edwards E S, general merchandise
Moerler C, blacksmith
Mohr Rudolph, clothing
Willis C C, billiard and liquor saloon
Wood James D, postmaster

Lemhi, Lemhi Co. (See Fort Lemhi)

Lemhi County

Organized 1869. Bounded on the north by Nez Perce County and Montana Territory; south by Alturas County; east by Montana Territory; west by Idaho County. Area, 2,000 square miles. Assessed valuation of property for 1874, $149,760. County seat, Salmon City. Principal towns: Leesburg, 200 miles northeast of Boise City, and Oro Grande, situated on Loon Creek, and distant 150 miles northeast of Boise City. The Lemhi Valley, having a length of 75 miles, is susceptible of a high degree of cultivation, producing all the cereals, vegetables, and fruits common to the latitude, furnishing sufficient for the towns and mining camps of the county, and exporting large quantities of flour and grain to Montana.

Officers: Thomas McGarry, Probate Judge; John Hogan, Clerk, Recorder, and Auditor; R. F. Foot, District Attorney; J.G. Finnell, Sheriff; Eli Minert, Treasurer; C. W. Manasco, Assessor, and Tax Collector; M. Williams, Coroner; I. P. Jewell, Superintendent Public Schools.

page image from Langley's Directory at archive.org




About AHGP

Webspace for this site is generously provided by Genealogy Village and Access Genealogy

Copyright © 2013 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.