Complete issues at Yellow Pine Times - (click)

courtesy Sandy McRae and Jim Collord

The Prospector and Thunder Mountain News
Volume 1. Roosevelt, Idaho, April 1, 1905

Complete issue at April 1, 1905


Charles E. Curtis has opened a saloon at Belleco.

Wm. Queeney has gone to Middle Fork of the Salmon.

Mrs. Sam Hancock is spending a few days with Mrs. Pannkake at the Y. H.

Bert Merridth and Claude Taylor went to work at the Dewey Wednesday.

E. M. Thornton returned Thursday … (page torn).

Mrs. Morris went to Belleco this morning where she will take charge of the Sunnyside boarding house.

A. A. Lyden, R. B. MacGregor and Ed. Lewis arrived from the Ramey Ridge country the 27th ult.

Mrs. Charles E. Curtis and family, Mis. C. M. Taylor and Mrs. Hasbrook took the stage this morning for Boise.

H. C. Ailport, the sub-contractor for this end of the mail route, arrived Thursday afternoon with a sleigh load of mail. Mr. Ailport made great efforts to get the mail in.

E. L. Reid is quite sick. Stage-driver Ailport went to the Southwest Fork of Monumental Friday morning and brought him to town. We hope he will soon be about again.

McCrum & Deary, of Boise, always carry a first class stock of drugs and medicines. They make a specialty of mail order business, and solicit Thunder Mountain trade. See their advertisement.

A petition was circulated last week praying the county commissioners to declare the Thunder Mountain Road a county road and appoint a road supervisor. R. D. Almond was named as supervisor, and the petition was universally signed.

Ed. Collins, while working in the Blue Point tunnel at the 20th Century, narrowly escaped death last Saturday. While timbering the tunnel a huge boulder weighing nearly a ton fell from the roof grazing his head and shoulder. He is not seriously injured though disabled for a few days.

The Summit House was the scene of much activity Wednesday evening when 21 men with the Sunnyside machinery spent the night there. Fully 50 horses were tied about the grounds.

Fred Roesch is putting up a dwelling house 16×24 feet in the clear on his lot south of the pioneer meet [sic] market. He will set it back from the street so that the front of the lot may be used as a business location.

S. L. Gillam has a very fine mountain sheep’s head, a present from Ed. Myers, which he will have mounted and hang as an ornament in his saloon. He has quite extensive decorations in mind which we shall report later.

Says the Mining Recorder: “An important mining deal was recently made in Kansas City whereby George Brant transferred his interest in the Brant Mining & Milling Company for an interest in the Golden Islet, situated in Jones gulch. New officers were elected for the Golden Islet Mining & Milling Company, as follows: J. G. McKnight, president; S. E. Bowerman, vice-president; J. F. Mensing, secretary and treasurer.” Geo. Brant is well known in this section as the local manager of the Brant Mining & Milling Company.

I have been requested to state my prices for professional services; they are as follows: A common extraction, without anaesthetics [sic], $1.00; absolutely painless extraction, $2.50; seemless [sic] gold crown, 22k.-30 gague [sic], $10 to $15; for bridge work, $10 to $12.50; plates from, $25 to $100; silver fillings $1.50 to $2.00; platinum fillings, $2.50 to $3.00; gold fillings, $3.50 up. A word in regard to the painless extraction: I am inventor of an anaesthetic [sic] which has taken me years to complete, and the experiments incidental thereto have cost much time, trouble and money. Ask those who have used my anaesthetic [sic] if I missrepresent [sic] its effect. In no dental parlors outside, can you get first-class work done cheaper than I do it and the after effects commonly known to painless extraction, are not known to my patients since my anaesthetic [sic] is local in its effect. I do all kinds of dental work known to the profession. I avoid giving needless pain in all dental operations. Ask your friends about this. I take personal interest in my patients and so assume to refer you to any of them. C. T. JONES, D. D. S.

Complete issue at April 1, 1905

The Prospector and Thunder Mountain News
Volume 1. Roosevelt, Idaho, April 8, 1905

Complete issue at April 8, 1905


James Hash was up from the Middle Fork for a few days this week.

Robt. Pugh, E. Jenson and Robt. Kirk arrived from Grangeville Monday.

Carl Sandell arrived from Boise this week and went to work at the Sunnyside mine Friday.

Geo. Batters and Al. Adell have gone to Middle Fork of Salmon for a pleasure and prospecting trip.

Willis W. Loy arrived from the outside and is in the employ of the Thunder Mountain Pearl Mining Co.

Floyd H. Barnett is putting a canvas roof on his office to use until he can get roofing material from the outside.

McAndrews & Reuter have bought the general merchandise stock of Gus. Holtgren and moved it to their store on Main St.

Dr. C. T. Jones commenced Wednesday the remodeling of his building on the west side of Main street. [He will make it into a] first-class lodging house.

H. J. Hanson drove two beeves to town this week. The animals were in fine condition and the beef is good. This is the first fresh meat to arrive this spring.

G. P. Pugh and son Robert have gone to work at the 20th Century temporarily – until the snow in the mountains will admit of their doing the assessment work on their various claims.

Tom Neighbors received a letter from S. P. Burr recently that he left Boise for his home in Moscow on the 18th ult. Mr. Burr expects to return to Roosevelt by the 15th inst. via Grangeville and Warren.

Dr. Elmer H. Capen, president or Tufts College, died March 22nd. E. W. Whitcom, Esq., of this town is a graduate of Tufts, class of ’87 and entertained a deep feeling of friendship for Dr. Capen.

Mrs. R. Ross Arnold has been engaged to teach the school in this town. The school books have arrived and school will begin April 24th. Mrs. Arnold will arrive a few days prior to that time.

Patrick O’Donnell, who has been quite sick for several weeks, left for Boise with Wm. Kreps Monday. He was somewhat better and we hope he will fully regain his former health. Joe Surprise went with him.

The water in Monumental creek was muddy as it flowed through town Thursday. We find it was caused by the creek having been turned through the 20th Century flume two miles and a half above town. The pentstock and flume are in fine condition and the mill was started Thursday morning.

Bert Either recently received a letter from Chas. A. Knodle, of Butte, Mont., stating that a railroad will start from Lewiston coming this way and that work will doubtless begin this summer. The exact location or destination of the road is not stated.

E. B. Dodson, a stockholder of the Adams Mining Co., made up principally of Atlantic City and Philadelphia capitalists, arrived last Friday. Extensive development work will be done on their property, situated on Divide creek, between Divide and Cooney creek. H. C. Willis, the vice-president and manager, is expected to arrive within three weeks with necessary equipment.

News From the Middle Fork.

T J. Lynch returned Thursday from the Middle Fork of the Salmon river where he has been for nearly a month. He was delighted with his trip and speaks in glowing terms of the springs and says that in all his experience in the mountains he never saw two prospectors situated so comfortably as are Voller and McNerney.

They have a fine ranch of about forty acres cleared on which they raise all their vegetables and hay for stock; they have a fine range and are well supplied with fresh eggs, milk and butter. The hot springs are situated near their cabin which is but a short distance from the ore lode they are developing. They are not pushing the work on their mining property very fast – perhaps because they are so pleasantly situated. They have had some good assays. They are now building a two-story house 14×24 feet in the clear.

Mr. Lynch says Mr. Cunningham is very feeble and was unfortunate in loosing [sic] nearly all of his potatoes last winter by frost. J. Herron is assisting him on the ranch.

Jack Murray has taken up a ranch five miles below Mahoney’s. Mr. Mahoney has leased his ranch to his two sons and he himself this summer is going to build “that ditch.”

Mr. Lynch says that deer are very plentiful on the Middle Fork and that the fish are just beginning to come up the stream.

ohn Shaffer Drowned

Well Known Pioneer Meets Death in the South Fork.

John Shaffer was drowned in the South Fork of the Salmon River on March 29th.

Mr. Shaffer was one of the best known citizens in this part of the state and leaves many friends to regret his death. He was universally liked; always generous and genial he made friends on every hand and kept them.

He spent several years at Custer in its palmy days, and before the wagon road was built carried the mail there on snow shoes.

During the first excitement at the Coeur d’Alenes, he went to that camp. He was an expert miner as well as an all round frontiersman, and at one time was foreman of the famous Bunker Hill mine. In 1898 he came to the South Fork of the Salmon and bought what afterwards became widely known as Shaffer’s ranch. Hundreds of people stopped there during the rush to Thunder Mountain and all will remember his hearty, kindly ways. While he made much money he was generous to a fault, and did not accumulate a large property though he left a good ranch and considerable stock.

On the afternoon of his death he had been taking up the planking of his bridge across the South Fork, deeming it unsafe, and was crossing on one of the timbers, or stringers, of the bridge; he lost his balance and fell into the stream which at this point is a boiling torrent. The water is icy cold at this time of year and it is thought he either became cramped at once or was stunned by the fall; he apparently made no effort to save himself but was swept down the stream. The body was found the next evening at 5 o’clock some distance down the river.

Mr. Shaffer leaves a wife and two little boys who were at their home on the ranch at the time of his death, also a sister, Mrs. Julius Cross, who is postmistress at Custer, in this state.

The funeral took place the next day after the body was found. Near the house on the ranch is a rounded knoll on which stands a beautiful, wide spreading pine tree. Mr. Shaffer had spoken of this spot as an ideal burial place, and here he was laid to rest


(page torn)… and Lester H. Busby have gone to Reardon [sic] creek to inspect their mining property there.

The Sunnyside mine took on five more men Friday morning. Supt. Abbott expects the stamps to drop not later than the 25th of the month.

Clate Vance and James LeRoy went down Monumental creek Wednesday to their property opposite the Roosevelt Monument to do some assessment work.

Prospectors returning from the hills say the south sides of the mountains are almost entirely bare and water in the draws at this time of year makes panning easy.

M. W. Mouat, of Denver, is in town experting the property of the Thunder Mountain Pearl Mining Co. He says Mr. DeCamp will arrive in about a month.

Peeler Foster, H P. Brown and Lou Englebright sold their group of three claims on the canyon side just in front of THE NEW’S office to T. M. Nichols of Chicago. The group is known as the Alliance No. 1, 2 and 3.

T. G. Thomas and son left Wednesday for Ramey Ridge to commence work on their Mildred and War Eagle properties. Their partner, August Herzog of Spokane, is expected soon. They believe the development work will warrant coutinuous [sic] operations.

At the H. Y. -Climax work is being pushed on the Polo Duro tunnel. Supt. Whitlock was in town Thursday and says he is just starting a shaft near the old cook house, and they have already found some remarkably good float.

Big Creek.

R. B. MacGregor and A. A. Lyden arrived from Ramey Ridge, and reported the development work done in the district during the winter was very satisfactory.

I. R. Frier, Supt. of the Pueblo Mining & Milling Co. sunk a shaft to the depth of 90 feet and run a crosscut at the bottom of the shaft, a distance of 70 feet, all in ore, and numerous pieces showing free gold. This company is figuring for the installation of a mill during the summer.

D. T. Davis, who is at present negotiating with a western company for his property on Beaver creek, has one of the best showings in the district. The lead is 60 ft. wide and crops for a distance of 800 feet, several places standing 20 feet above the surface. The values consist of gold and silver. Values from a trace to $40.

James Hand, who has been developing his property on Beaver creek during the winter, has extended his tunnel a distance of 50 feet – all in ore. The face of the drift having a vertical depth of 130 feet on the lead and free gold is very easily seen in the quartz with the naked eye.

Stewart and Lyden, whose property is on the Ramey Ridge side of Beaver creek, have a very good surface showing. They have two parallel leads a distance of 200 feet apart, one being 10 feet 8 inches wide and can be traced for a distance of 900 feet – values from $3.12 to $87.72. A crosscut tunnel has been run to a distance of 131 feet, but owing to not having supplies, were compelled to discontinue the work before reaching the lead. The other lead is 7 feet and can be traced 500 feet on surface – values as high as $70.

Stephenson and Lynch, who are located on Ramey Ridge, have shown up some excellent bodies of ore.

Butcher and Cassette, who were the discoverers of the district, have opened up with shaft and tunnels, a great body of ore. An average sample across the lead valued $11.40 in free gold.

Yates and MacGregor, who have been working on their properties on Ramey Ridge during the winter, report development work very satisfactory.

All told the prospects of the district are very promising.

Another Pioneer Passes Away.

George Dyer, living near the Shaffer Ranch, on the South Fork of the Salmon, died of old age March 30th. Mr. Dyer came around Cape Horn many years ago in company with Mr. Kelley, of the Kelley & Patterson firm, of Warren. He had lived in that section for a long time.

Insane Man Missing.

At the time of Mr. Shaffers death reported elsewhere, an insane man, whose name we are unable to learn, was being kept temporarily at the ranch house. During the excitement which followed the sad drowning accident, the man disappeared and at last accounts he had not been heard of. Grave fears for his safety are entertained.

J. W. Wright, a well-known Thunder Mountain and Warren mining man, for the past two years a resident of this city, died last night from an attack of grip. Mr. Wright leaves a wife and four children. Mr. Wright was interested in some of the most promising mining properties in the Thunder Mountain and Warren sections. – Weiser World.

Complete issue at April 8, 1905

Complete issues at Yellow Pine Times - (click)

Webspace for this site is generously provided by Genealogy Village and Access Genealogy

Copyright © 2013 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.