Nez Perce County an original county

"ESTABLISHED 1864
COUNTY SEAT Lewiston
Nez Perce County was named for the Nez Perce Indians. As was Idaho County, it was first established in Washington Territory in 1861, and was formally created by the Idaho Territorial legislature in 1864. After several divisions and changes, the present county boundaries were established in 1911. The county is rich in the history of the Nez Perce Indians and the arrival of the first white men with Lewis and Clark in 1805. The first missionaries to settle in Idaho, The Rev. Henry H. Spalding and his wife. Eliza Hart Spalding, established a mission in 1836 near the confluence of Lapwai Creek and the Clearwater River. The mission was closed in 1847. The Nez Perce Indian agency was es-tablished at Lapwai in 1860, and Lewiston was founded in 1861 as a trading center for the north Idaho mines. Lewiston was the territorial capital for twenty-two months. Slackwater navigation came to Lewiston in 1975. The Lewiston State Normal School, now Lewis-Clark State College, was founded in 1893." - "The Idaho Almanac," 1977 Edition, State of Idaho.

Map from Atlas  ::  Nez Perce Co. ISU Digital Atlas


Hawley's 1920 History
Biographies from "An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties." Western Historical Publishin Company, 1903. Biographies can contain a great amount of information on your ancestor. In years past when these books were written many of the many of the people who contributed family history paid to have there information included. Because of these fees sometimes many people were not included. In using this information, please don't accept it as factual, check it out!!



American History & Genealogy Project

Webspace for this site is generously provided by Genealogy Village and Access Genealogy

Copyright © 2013 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.