Bonneville was named for Captain B. L. E. Bonneville, a fur trader and explorer, who. raveled across southern Idaho in the early 1830's. Most of the mountain men and fur trappers of the early 1800's tramped on what is now Bonneville County land. A ferry was established on the Snake River near what became the site of Idaho Falls, and later a bridge was built there. First settlement in Bonneville County was at Eagle Rock (1864), later to become Idaho Falls. The railroad reached Idaho Falls in 1879. Mormon families reclaimed the rich dry land by irrigation from the Snake River. Agriculture is the county's chief industry. Idaho Falls is the headquarters for the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory (formerly the National Reactor Testing Station of the Atomic Energy Commission), the largest federal installation in the state. - - "The Idaho Almanac," 1977 Edition, State of Idaho.
map from almanac    location and population from Idaho Almanac    Bonneville Co. ISU Digital Atlas

"Early cattle drives were marketed by trailing east. . . The old eastward trail led through Fort Hall, to the Blackfoot River, where they crossed near the present site of the Blackfoot Dam, went around Gray's Lake, trailed around the southern border of the Caribou Mountains, then went on to Salt River and followed the old Sublette trail to Cheynne." - p.232, C. J. Brosnan's "History of the State of Idaho." 1935

Langley'1876 Directory, alpha index - includes Eagle Rock & etc.
Hawley's 1920 History
Post Offices
John Grey Highway Marker

Bonneville County Historical Markers
Grays Lake National Wildlife Refuge
BYUI Eastern Idaho Death Records
Bonneville Co., IDGenWeb
Bonneville Co. USGenweb Archives

Webspace for this site is generously provided by Genealogy Village and Access Genealogy

Copyright © 2013 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.